Job Title: Fixed term contract. Will consider permanent at a later stage for the right candidate.
Working For: Baron & Hopkins
Location: Newark office which is 1 hour 15-minute train ride from Kings Cross. Commutable train stations are Newark, London Kings Cross, Nottingham, Grantham, Peterborough, Lincoln, Doncaster, other stations or driving.
Pay: Dependent on role and experience
Closing date: ASAP
Who to email: kerry @ baronhopkins.com with your CV and covering letter about why your experience fits what we are looking for
We will begin to conduct interviews as soon as we receive applications and may appoint people to the roles before the application deadline. You are encouraged to submit your application as early as possible. We may also take someone on immediately on a work placement.
Stage One – Interview
Stage Two – Presentation
Baron & Hopkins is recruiting again. Baron & Hopkins was established on the 15th of August 2013. We have an exciting team of people from various backgrounds in broadcast journalism and PR. We want more exciting people to join our team. So if you’re ambitious, intelligent, hardworking and a rising star….Get in touch.
Baron & Hopkins is three things. It’s a consultancy that carries out the full suite of public relations and we are highly skilled at broadcast PR. Secondly, Baron & Hopkins own a digital video database, called database.broadcastready.co.uk for journalists to search videos of broadcast-ready experts to invite on their shows Thirdly, Broadcast Ready media trains experts to be guests on TV and radio.
Baron & Hopkins has an excellent opportunity for a PR.
You will ideally have at least one years corporate, political and/or financial communications experience, or be a bright apprentice. Media relations experience and excellent knowledge of current affairs and the UK political landscape are beneficial. You will ideally have experience working for huge corporations. You may also have journalism experience or worked in politics.
You will have a good grounding and understanding of communications professionally. You will have a good grasp of the media landscape and follow the news agenda through the day and evening out of curiosity, passion or relevance to your work.
The successful candidate will be confident in expressing and presenting ideas. You will have produced excellent results for clients on air, in print and online.
The right candidate will be a quick thinking experienced freelancer. We do work with some celebrities, although this is not a position for someone solely fascinated with celebrities, but more someone who is interested in areas such as news, politics, finance, technology, business, commerce and economics, cyber crime, retail or psychology for instance.
We draw on experience from our experience in TV journalism and corporate communications advising MPs, CEOs, professionals, royalty, entrepreneurs, business leaders, and celebrities and dealing day in, day out with the issues that have led TV news bulletins and dominated newspaper pages. We bring a campaigning mindset to the clients we represent. We understand how to use communications and align it with marketing counsel too, in order to financially affect the bottom line of the client’s and our own business.
- Keep abreast of the news agenda and client-related issues across the media
- Lead on identifying and delivering different tactical media opportunities for the client across different mediums including TV and radio
- Regularly proactively pitching to the media
- Large focus securing opportunities for a global insurance brokerage
- Creating TV and radio opportunities on shows like Secret Millionaire (now ended) and current affairs or magazine style shows
- Delivery of high-quality client outputs, including press releases, briefing documents, production call sheets, social media content and possibly blogs and newsletters
- Produce client reports
- Ensure all work is grammatically accurate
- Lead on media forward features
- Create speaker opportunities for a financial services entrepreneur client at universities, TEDx and insurance industry events
- Help with a poll of the FTSE 100 spokespeople
- Help with arranging a significant TV and radio media event at the House of Commons with MPs, broadcast and copy based journalists and senior professionals in September 2019
- Company PR for Broadcast Ready
- PR for clients on the Broadcast Ready database
- PR for the Broadcast Ready Club
- Scripting event literature and proof reading
- Keep media outreach documents up to date
- Other tasks that come up as and when necessary
- Ability to identify media opportunities
- Ideally, you will have financial services sector experience
- Experience of creating PR documentation for clients
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Keen interest and passion in current affairs, and to be politically astute
- Ability to develop and cultivate current client relationships and willingness to expand networks within business, the media and potentially politics
- Proficiency in using different forms of media, such as social media, broadcast, print and online
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE
- Up to date knowledge of news and current affairs
- Got clients in national print or/and on TV and radio, or, one have at least year’s experience as a journalist
- Worked for a corporation or large company for at least one year, or, in the media
- Brilliant on the telephone with enthusiasm
- Incredible attention to detail with the ability to write, accurate, compelling, grammatically correct copy
- Can work with our suppliers and other freelancers to create the strongest packages for our expert clients
- Willingness to do whatever is required as directed to make campaigns a success
- Coming up with new ideas, which are welcomed
- Be a problem solver
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a can-do attitude
- Flexibility on hours will be required as per demands of the business
DESIRABLE, NOT COMPULSORY
- Experience of creating or managing the creation of marketing assets to support PR is desirable
- As well as UK media, having global PR experience dealing with non-UK media would be an advantage
- Editing footage on FCPX (desirable, not essential)
- Writing newsletters and blogs
- Any SEO or paid advertising experience would be desirable but not compulsory
Please email kerry @ baronhopkins.com with a covering email highlighting your relevant experience, and why you’d like to get a job interview with Baron & Hopkins plus attach your CV.